To register to vote in the City of New York, you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States (includes those persons born in Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands).
- Be a New York City resident for at least 30 days.
Be 18 years old by the end of this year.
- Not be in prison for a felony conviction.
- Not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court.
- Not claim the right to vote elsewhere (outside the City of New York).
- A person who is at least sixteen years of age and who is otherwise qualified to register to vote may preregister to vote and shall be automatically registered upon reaching the age of eligibility as provided by this chapter.